Wednesday, October 07, 2009

I Counter with a few Libertarian Points

I would argue that individuals know what is best for them-selves. I do not believe that we are on this earth to serve or be served. We all have certain values and most of us accept as true that it is rational to treat others the way you would like to be treated. I have never liked paternalism in any form and I certainly would not abide by the tyranny of any person or entity that proposes that they know what is good for me. I guess I am stubborn – but it is I who will pay the price.


In a free society we must be able to discriminate against that which we do not agree. – As long as we do not initiate violence against others.

Observing history that chronicles the last two thousand years one will see that a recurring theme is the tension between individuals and the powers that be. This I fear will never end – perhaps there are genetic differences between the two types. The difference is that only one side must use force to make the other conform – the elites need the individuals not the other way around.

All I can say is that freer countries with less government interference tend to be richer, cleaner and attract many more immigrants. Also, most government programs are ruled by the law of unintended consequences; i.e. money for unwed mothers produces an increase in the number of unwed mothers, generous unemployment insurance produces more unemployed and welfare produces a larger number of poor.

Remember there is no such person as society – only the individuals within it. A free democracy like Canada, Britain or the United States is the best arena that the elites and the individuals can do battle without bloodshed. The system at least keeps the extremes in check.

No comments: